Saturday 7 April 2012

All's Well that Ends Well

6th and 7th April

Tierra and Zacarias
 So we left the campsite fairly early, saying fond fair wells to our friends. We have enjoyed their company for two weeks now and waving goodbye is touched with sadness and joy.


 Another phase of the trip is over and the next one is just beginning. With one month left on our visas, it's south we go!
We stock up in Aourir on ghasool, a mud for washing body and hair, as we have been finding it a great alternative to normal shampoo and conditioner. We now bath in mud! feels good.
South towards Tiznit and the temperature gauge is showing warm! With about 50 kms to go, I say nothing to Krysia and see how it goes, arriving at Tiznit about 1 pm. We weren't intending to stop here but it's a good place to investigate the problem. I find little water in the radiator and the alarm bells are ringing. Here we go again!
These problems are sent as little tests to see how we cope with life I think and it has crossed my mind lately as to how to react to these 'gifts' ! Keep calm and assess the situation, life has always worked out up until now so have faith, don't panic Mr Fawlty.
So this is what happens. I bump into a Moroccan named Aziz who asks if I need help. He takes me to a mechanic he knows who says ' bring the van to my side-street garage. ' I take him to the van where Krysia recognises him from two years ago. He helped us buy our Moroccan phone but had the habit of talking a lot and turning up all over town! Still, he speaks English and wants to help and talk ( a lot ). Now maybe I could have done this differently. On reflection, it's easy to say. I knew that we have a new water pump and radiator so that only leaves the thermostat if I am guessing correctly. So when the two mechanics say it's the thermostat, it makes sense. But I'm in their hands now and they have taken over the repair. Which seems to take all afternoon, with a lot of waiting with Aziz who as I've already said talks and talks but his English is very useful because I'm on the alert for what is going on.



 One of the mechanics takes the thermostat housing apart and appears to put it right back together again without doing anything! saying it's fixed! What has he done? Well I'm guessing that he's taken the thermostat out and is going to treat me like a fool and tell me it's fixed.Which is exactly what he does but I'm not having it, where's my bloody thermostat!!!

Aziz, lovely man, silly man and me
Now these people are not trying to rip me off, just treat me like I don't know what's happening. Like a lot of folk wouldn't. They tell me that it's fine to run an engine without a thermostat, just runs a bit cooler!!!At the garage you listen to the mechanic right. Well running a vehicle without a thermostat might be ok but tell me what's going on and give me the broken one! Which they do and charge 20 quid for the pleasure! I give Aziz 8 pounds for his services and we go our separate ways. He has been as useful as they have.

We have a long chat via skype with our lovely Jaimie late in the evening. She is doing well and now thinks that it's time to settle down in Melbourne and get some work, get some money. We wish her the best of luck and all our love. goodnight sweatheart, xxx
goodnight everybody! xxx

 7th April.
My mind churns over the thermostat dilemma on and off during the night. I wake up and start thinking over all the possibilities. oh for a switch, I needed a good sleep and I know what to do. Krysia had remembered last night that we should phone Hayden the mechanic in Swansea, the nice chap who  fitted new brake shoes just before we left in January. So that's what I did and he said ' no, it's not a good idea to run the engine without a thermostat! ' ' Put the old one back in and try it again. '.
Now I've already tested the thermostat and it does seem to work. So off to a parts shop I go to buy some silicon sealant for making gaskets. I now need to take this job in hand and fix it myself.
so who walks into the parts shop as I'm waiting to be served? The other mechanic of course. the nice one who treated Krysia with the utmost respect yesterday. He looked confused, so I told him what I was up to, explaining that the engine needs the removed part even if I have to ''fix'' it to stay open. He understood and casually asked if the shop has a new thermostat, which they do!!!!!!
Now I'm not angry, it seems as if the joke is on them. I now have a new thermostat and a valuable lesson as well. They have to suffer their embarrassment at having played me for a fool. Which although I can be, this time I was not and will take no pleasure in their shame. I take the van back to them after it is fixed and running for them to check that all is well. With a stamp of their approval, it's south we go again. All is well that ends well.
We drive to Sidi Ifni without a hitch and are now settled into a campsite right on the beach. Very beautiful and calm. Just what's needed after the last 24 hours.




It is hot and sunny which is great and we walk along the beach for what seems like miles! More like kilometres probably!




I think I'm going to sleep well tonight
hope you do too.
What will tomorrow bring?

love
T and K
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment