Friday 24 February 2012

Argan chat and fish dinner


After having written the blog under the Argan tree on Tuesday, an old chap came and sat with us admiring all our wealth; computer, camera's, motorbike, etc. All he really wanted was my sun glasses and apart from that, made pleasant conversation in Berber about what we could only guess at! As he talked, Krysia took the opportunity to boldly sketch him. He didn't seem to mind and giggled at the developing drawing, thinking it looked more like me than him. Do I look like that? I think not, drawing seems to be less intrusive than photo's as we are finding out, although he didn't mind a general snap but a full face portrait he was not so keen on.

 The issue of taking photographs is an ongoing one. In Tamanar souk, I took 'secret' shots and then was called to take group photo's by the locals, who posed proudly. I think the rules are the same anywhere, ask first or take the consequences of offending the subject. As I found out yesterday at the port while shooting the fisherman at work. One chap got quite heated, we're not sure why, none of this 'taking my soul away' stuff we are sure and there are many tourists coming here and taking pictures of the port. Other locals just said 'take no notice' but it did leave me with that ' whoops, I've just upset a local ' feeling. All the while, Krysia was sketching the scene and held up her drawing pad as if to say ' you can't tell me not to draw '. That's a bit like saying, you shouldn't look ! So she continues to sketch and I shall post the results when she's happy they're presentable.

Back at the Argan tree, the old fellow suddenly shouts at a passing lorry and runs off to get a lift! Gone as quick as he came and I still have my sunglasses. Krysia by now, has also accumulated a lot of photo's of the farmers working in the fields, at a distance needless to say and without appearing to have offended anyone! You take your chances whenever you point your camera, people are either light or heavy!!!








We finish Tuesday with a long walk south of Imessoune, along a beach only accessible by a rough track hewn by locals for the pleasure of being there.




Wednesday is fish day! And the days dinner was Mirn ??? A delicious fish that cost us 40 dirhams and we were assured would be lovely, which it was. Cooked on a barby in the sun.
Oh yes, and to contrast the unhappy fisherman, moments later, we were invited into a local shop for just some mint tea and some warmth. No selling, just smiles and hospitality. ' Hamid ' has the opinion that far to many people have ' blah, blah, blah ' to say about little things, I think he's right!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment